How Much Does It Cost to Repair a Water Heater in Florida?
If your water heater isn’t working correctly, you may be wondering what the cost may be to have it repaired.
The cost to repair a water heater in Florida ranges from approximately $150 to over $400.
Several factors affect the cost of a water heater repair. The most important points include:
- What’s wrong with your water heater
- The type of water heater you have (tank or tankless)
- The age of your water heater
- The status of your water heater warranty
- The plumber’s level of experience
In this blog, we’ll cover the cost factors shown above in more detail.
While we can state a price range, only a certified plumber can provide you with an exact estimate. To do that, they’ll need to inspect your water heater.
Need professional help?
Contact Climate Design for a water heater repair estimate.
Cost Factor #1: What’s wrong with your water heater
The cost to repair a water heater depends on exactly what is wrong with it.
How much you’ll pay for the repairs is affected by:
- The cost of the part. The more a replacement part costs to replace, the more you’ll pay to repair the water heater.
- How long it will take a plumber to make repairs. The more difficult and time-consuming the water heater repair is, the more you will pay overall.
Cost Factor #2: The type of water heater you have (tank or tankless)
The type of water heater you have also affects the cost of repairs. Tank repairs are typically more simple and cost less than tankless repairs. Because tankless water heater parts cost more and repairs tend to be more complex, the cost may increase.
Let’s break down the costs for common repairs for each type of water heater:
Common tank water heater repairs:
- Anode rod replacement: $20-$300+ The purpose of the anode rod is to prevent the tank from rusting. However, it can’t do its job if it becomes overly corroded. We recommend replacing the anode rod every 5 years to extend the life of your water heater.
- Heating element repair: $250-$400+ A heating element that is failing may need to be replaced if it can’t heat your water properly.
- Broken pressure relief valve replacement: $150-$200+ A plumber may need to replace a broken pressure relief valve so your water heater continues to operate at a safe pressure and temperature.
- Leaky tank replacement: $900-$1,200+ A plumber may recommend replacing your entire water heater if the bottom of the tank is corroded and has begun leaking.
Common tankless water heater repairs:
- Water heater flush: $200+ We recommend having your tankless water heater flushed every year to remove mineral buildup which can cause clogs and overheating.
- Faulty burners or heating element: $300-$600+ A plumber may recommend repairing or replacing a faulty burner or heating element if the water cannot be properly heated.
- Faulty circuit board: $600+ A plumber may replace a faulty circuit board that is preventing your tankless water heater from working.
Cost Factor #3: The age of your water heater
If your water heater is older than 10 years, you will likely pay more for repairs.
The cost to repair an older water heater is typically more expensive because:
- Multiple parts may need to be repaired or replaced. In an older water heater, it’s typical for more than one part to malfunction or break down.
- Some parts cannot be repaired. When older water heaters start to break down, some of the parts can’t be repaired (e.g. the tank) without costing almost as much as a full system replacement. In that case, your plumber will typically recommend you replace the entire system instead of just replacing the part.
- How difficult it is to find parts. Depending on how old your water heater is, some parts may be difficult to find or may not be produced any longer. If the part you need is in short supply, the cost of your repair may be higher.
Cost Factor #4: The status of your water heater warranty
The cost to repair your water heater may decrease significantly if it’s under a valid warranty.
Water heater manufacturers cover the cost to replace defective parts for approximately 5-10 years. The length of the coverage and what parts are covered can vary depending on the manufacturer.
However, it’s important to note that it’s fairly easy to void your manufacturer’s warranty by accident. You might void a water heater manufacturer’s warranty if:
- You’ve failed to register your water heater warranty with the manufacturer
- You haven’t had a licensed professional maintain the water heater every year
- Your water heater has been repaired with off-brand parts
Cost Factor #5: The plumber’s level of experience
The cost you’ll pay for water heater repairs also depends on the contractor you hire.
While a more experienced plumber will charge more for labor, don’t let that discourage you. A plumber who undercharges might skimp on work to make a profit margin or may not have the experience needed to fix your issue properly. You don’t want to end up paying for expensive repeat work that will cost more in the long run.
Ensure your water heater repair is handled by a qualified, experienced professional by checking if:
- They are licensed
- They have over 10 years of experience
- They have positive reviews
- They have a good Better Business Bureau rating
Ready to schedule your water heater repair? Contact Climate Design
When you call Climate Design, you’ll receive a fast diagnostic inspection by an experienced plumber and the option to schedule your service on evenings and weekends.
Over the past 47+ years, Florida homeowners have trusted us for reliable water heater repairs and great customer service. Our record is also backed by our many 5-star Google reviews.
You May Also Like
Did you know that water heaters account for around 14% of household energy bills in Bradenton, Florida? A new water installation can… Continue Reading The 411 on Tank Vs. Tankless Water Heaters in Bradenton, FL…
Floridians increasingly rely on sensitive electronics, from computers to smart thermostats to recharging stations and mobile devices. Here are three benefits of… Continue Reading The Benefits of Investing in a Surge Protector Installation…
Heat pumps are an energy-efficient solution for heating and cooling homes in Clearwater, FL. They’re a particularly effective solution to cut costs… Continue Reading How Heat Pumps Work: A Basic Guide for Homeowners…