During those hot Florida summers, the temperature skyrockets. Unfortunately, so do our electric bills. It’s the price we pay for living in paradise, but with air conditioning making up to 60% of household electricity use, many people are seeking alternatives. Are you sick of paying the high cost of cooling off, but don’t want to melt away in the summer swelter? Follow some of these money saving tips for the best ways that cut down on your bill, without surrendering your comfort.
Small Changes, Bigs Savings
There are little changes you can make to your home that can save you lots of money on your energy bill. Following any of these simple suggestions can help keep you cool, without running up the electricity bill.
- Close the drapes: While everyone enjoys a nice, sun filled room, having the drapes open is heating up your home. By closing them, especially when you are not at home, you are giving your AC less work to do, which is saving you energy.
- Buy a fan: A ceiling fan is a great investment and uses far less energy then your AC. Turning off the AC at night and switching on the fan is an easy solution to your energy bill woes.
- Change Your HVAC Air Filter: Admit it, we all forget about the air filter. It’s nasty and gross and easy to ignore. However, when you neglect the filter, you are making your AC work twice as hard while only giving you half the results. Make sure you change the filter once a month to help keep your AC working its best.
- Have a Green Thumb: Landscaping around your home is not only a great way to add beauty and value to your property, it can also cool down your home. Certain trees and bushes offer shade. Just plant them on the west or south sides of your home to help reduce your cooling cost.
- Get Outside: When your home just gets too hot, take the whole family outside to cool off. Living in Florida, we are lucky to have a number of beaches and rivers that provide a fun way for the whole family to cool down on those hot summer days.
What to Know When It’s Time to Upgrade Your AC System
Change is inevitable. And when it’s time for a new AC unit, there are a few things you need to know that will save you money in the future.
- Check the SEER Number: When buying a new AC unit, make sure your check out the SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) number. This number tells you how efficient the system is, and the more efficient the more money you save. While most experts recommend a SEER rating of 13 or higher, most Floridians really need at least a 14 to stay cool.
- Programmable Thermostat: When installing a new system, it is a good idea to update the thermostat. There are a number of great thermostats on the market today, some of which you can even control from your smartphone. By installing on of these, you can program when you are going to be home or away, so you are no longer cooling your home empty house.
- Humidity Control: As any Floridian knows, the heat isn’t the worst part about the summer, it’s the humidity. This is why it is important to purchase a new unit with humidity control. You and your family will live more comfortably while saving money on cooling.
If you have any questions about how to make your Air Conditioning Unit more effective, or think that it might be time to upgrade, feel free to give us a call at Climate Design and with all your air conditioning needs. Contact us today so we can help you stay cool and save money.